I made this pretty medallion from a ball of red – size 20 “Aunt Lydia’s” crochet thread, that I picked up from Walmart.
I modified the pattern I found in the June 1971 Workbasket. It was originally a tatted bun cover pattern with a lot of cut and ties, but I used split rings and split chains to make it easier to climb out of one round and into the next.
Here is my version: just scanned, not blocked.
Start with two shuttles (wind them in the continuous thread method – or wind a shuttle and don’t cut it from the ball).
Center: R of 2ds, 9 long p (finished p is about 1/2 inch long), sep by 2ds, cl r, leave a space of 1/2 inch on the shuttle thread and ball thread (or shuttle 1 and shuttle 2 threads) and make a false p.
Start a SR of 3ds/3ds, cl r, rw.
Chain: 6ds, p, 6ds, rw.
*R 3ds, join to the next long p of center ring, 3ds, cl r, rw.
Ch 6, p, 6, rw.*
Repeat between the *’s until each long p has a small ring joined to it.
After the last small ring, rw as normal but make a split chain of 6ds/6ds, do not rw, make a small false p.
Ch 6,p,6,p,6 then join to next p of chain in previous round. Repeat this chain all the way around. Fasten the last chain to the base of the first chain and work in the ends.